SKR2 - LCD display shows garbage/goes blank after some time

Clayton Nummer

I recently installed an SKR2 (rev b, F429) in an Eryone Thinker S V2.1 and I'm having issues with the LCD display - after some time, the display will start to show garbage (like the signal is corrupt, or random non-english (kanji?) characters). On some occasions the display goes completely blank with the backlight on but no characters displayed. 

I'm running Marlin 2.0.9.3, with my current build here: https://github.com/claytonjn/Marlin-SKR2

The stock firmware for my printer can be found here: https://github.com/Eryone/mega2560/tree/master/THINKER V2/config/Eryone/THINKER SV2/Stock

In both the stock firmware and my build for the SKR2, the LCD is set with #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Any suggestions on how I may be able to resolve this issue? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the board, it appears to be labeled as 12864-14-V1.2 - I've attached a photo for reference.

After power-on or reset the display works properly with text and graphics however usually after a short amount of time printing the display starts showing garbage. 

I have confirmed that EXP1 from the display is connected to EXP1 on the SKR2 and that EXP2 on the display is connected to EXP2 on the SKR2.

I'll also note that I've had nothing but problems with my BLTouch since switching to this board - when first installed the printer would home as expected but at some point during z traveling down but before hitting the bed the probe would retract; I adjusted the screw on the BLTouch which seems to have helped that (but it's interesting I did not have this issue with the stock printer board), then I was having issues with the BLTouch blinking slowly and randomly deploying during a print; I replaced the dupont connectors on the motherboard side of the cable with JST-XH connectors for a more solid connection, but now when the printer homes the probe will extend but then retract immediately before z even moves down and the probe will extend-retract a couple cycles before the printer HALTS with a BLTouch error - so currently I'm completely unable to print because I can't Z Home.  I'm not sure if the two issues are related but so far this board has caused nothing but problems. 

IMG_0425 - Copy.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just want to update this for the record. The BLTouch issue seems to be due to loose connection between the BLTouch cable and the header on the SKR2 - I since switched from the dupont connectors that are standard with the BLTouch to a JST-XH connector and that issue has gone away.

As far as the display is concerned, it has only gotten worse. Nine times out of ten the display shows garbage immediately after powering on the printer. On the occasions where the display does work initially, I can't even get into the menu to home axis before the display becomes garbled and unusable. I haven't decided whether I want to spend the money on a new display and the time making a housing for it or if I want to just trash the SKR2 and go back to the stock printer board.

• Administrators
On 6/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, Clayton Nummer said:

Just want to update this for the record. The BLTouch issue seems to be due to loose connection between the BLTouch cable and the header on the SKR2 - I since switched from the dupont connectors that are standard with the BLTouch to a JST-XH connector and that issue has gone away.

As far as the display is concerned, it has only gotten worse. Nine times out of ten the display shows garbage immediately after powering on the printer. On the occasions where the display does work initially, I can't even get into the menu to home axis before the display becomes garbled and unusable. I haven't decided whether I want to spend the money on a new display and the time making a housing for it or if I want to just trash the SKR2 and go back to the stock printer board.

If you have any product issues, please submit a request and we will arrange for an engineer to communicate with you as soon as possible.

Click on the top navigation "Submit a request" or Please click
https://support.biqu3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new