Hookup up a 24v psu and smoked the board!

Brandon456852

I need help. What PSU power and amperage ratings are you guys using. I was using a 12 volt 320 w PSU. And it was shutting off every time I would preheat the hot end. Someone said in a forum that it may be running out of power. So I bought a 24 volt 600 w PSU when I hooked it up one of the chips on the board smoked. I'm at a complete loss really don't know what went wrong. I know that I'm going to have to replace the board but I'm afraid replacing the board and hooking it up the way I have it now will just smoke it too. To any recommendations as to what PSUs you guys are using would be helpful 

First we need to know what board you used, so we can look up what voltages it can handle. If you used a board that can only handle 12V then it is very obvious that the magic smoke showed up after you hooked up a 24V PSU.

If your board should theoretically handle 24V then the issue seems to be somewhere else.