Manta M8P CB1 EBB36 can bus compatibility?

Can somebody please explain how you would go about using the EBB36/42 with the Manta M8P/CB1 combination?  Do you have to use a U2C board?  Can you use a 3rd party Pi can bus hat from the CB1 GPIO pins on the Manta?

I have read everything I can find and the information I have found is ambiguous at best.

They went to a lot of trouble to package the Pi/CB1 with the board.  It would be a shame if you had to attach a U2C with a USB cable, power, and the can bus wires.....seems sloppy!?

I think they may have missed a trick by not build the can bus into the board to easily support their existing products.

• Administrators
On 7/9/2022 at 9:09 AM, SmileyTTU said:

Can somebody please explain how you would go about using the EBB36/42 with the Manta M8P/CB1 combination?  Do you have to use a U2C board?  Can you use a 3rd party Pi can bus hat from the CB1 GPIO pins on the Manta?

I have read everything I can find and the information I have found is ambiguous at best.

They went to a lot of trouble to package the Pi/CB1 with the board.  It would be a shame if you had to attach a U2C with a USB cable, power, and the can bus wires.....seems sloppy!?

I think they may have missed a trick by not build the can bus into the board to easily support their existing products.

If you have any product issues, please submit a request and we will arrange for an engineer to communicate with you as soon as possible.

Click on the top navigation "Submit a request" or Please click
https://support.biqu3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

9 hours ago, BIQU info said:

If you have any product issues, please submit a request and we will arrange for an engineer to communicate with you as soon as possible.

Click on the top navigation "Submit a request" or Please click
https://support.biqu3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I don't have a product issue because I am not going to buy the product until I know what to buy and how it will work?

Please kindly reread my post and see if you can answer my questions so I can figure out what products to purchase.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 1:55 AM, Lycritus said:

You can use the Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT, just jumper the pins 16 to 24 and 18 to 22 on the hat and enable the MCP2515 driver in the /boot/BoardEnv.txt file. 

Is there anything else you need to do, or just uncomment the the line in the txt file and away you go?

Just uncommenting the line was able to get the can-bus setup and I can query it to see the EBB. I tried to flash the EBB over the can-bus and it fails, then it will no longer find the EBB until reboot. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out why. I thought maybe because the RS485-CAN-HAT I have has a 12Mhz crystal and I could find no way to add that parameter to the overlay like it shows for a standard Rpi. I ordered an 8Mhz xtal to try, but not giving up, I looked through the dtb0 file and found that it specified a 12Mhz clock already. I will try the 8Mhz xtal anyway when it gets here, but I also order a Rpi CM4. With the CB1 not having exact pin compatibility, there are too many variables at this point to definitively find the problem.

50 minutes ago, Lycritus said:

Just uncommenting the line was able to get the can-bus setup and I can query it to see the EBB. I tried to flash the EBB over the can-bus and it fails, then it will no longer find the EBB until reboot. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out why. I thought maybe because the RS485-CAN-HAT I have has a 12Mhz crystal and I could find no way to add that parameter to the overlay like it shows for a standard Rpi. I ordered an 8Mhz xtal to try, but not giving up, I looked through the dtb0 file and found that it specified a 12Mhz clock already. I will try the 8Mhz xtal anyway when it gets here, but I also order a Rpi CM4. With the CB1 not having exact pin compatibility, there are too many variables at this point to definitively find the problem.

Well the fact it can see the EBB means it's connecting as it should. Wonder if you have to flast the EBB via USB first the way I've seen it done through the Klipper write ups? 

Did you also make sure to install the required libraries?

I had flashed the EBB with canboot via USB first. After not being able to flash via can-bus with the CB1, I fired up a Rpi with Klipper image, installed the HAT on it, and flashed the EBB via can-bus with it. Put the HAT back on the Manta/CB1, query showed EBB on the can-bus with Klipper application, and then tried to configure Klipper accordingly. When including the EBB/can configuration the system eventually times out not being able to talk to the mcu (EBB), and no longer shows in query. 

Besides having a CM4 on the way, I also have a BTT Pi4B adapter coming. Should be able to isolate the issue with the different combinations. 

20 hours ago, Lycritus said:

I had flashed the EBB with canboot via USB first. After not being able to flash via can-bus with the CB1, I fired up a Rpi with Klipper image, installed the HAT on it, and flashed the EBB via can-bus with it. Put the HAT back on the Manta/CB1, query showed EBB on the can-bus with Klipper application, and then tried to configure Klipper accordingly. When including the EBB/can configuration the system eventually times out not being able to talk to the mcu (EBB), and no longer shows in query. 

Besides having a CM4 on the way, I also have a BTT Pi4B adapter coming. Should be able to isolate the issue with the different combinations. 

Not what I was wanting to hear 😞

I have 3 printers, all with manta boards, and I have 3 hats on hand ready to convert them over to canbus. This is such a bummer to read. I may have to just return them and get the BTT U2C boards

An update. As suspected the CM4 module works perfectly. Putting the CB1 in the BTT Pi4B acts the same as it does in the Manta. I did monitor the GPIO pins and the PC9 (interrupt) goes low and stays that way when it stops working. Looked around to see if I could find a parameter to change the interrupt pin, but no luck. About all the time I want to spend on this right now, especially with the CM4 working.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:07 PM, Lycritus said:

An update. As suspected the CM4 module works perfectly. Putting the CB1 in the BTT Pi4B acts the same as it does in the Manta. I did monitor the GPIO pins and the PC9 (interrupt) goes low and stays that way when it stops working. Looked around to see if I could find a parameter to change the interrupt pin, but no luck. About all the time I want to spend on this right now, especially with the CM4 working.

Is there a way to jump the PC9 pin to a pin that would be more compatible? Unfortunately i don't have access to a CM4 so I don't have other options. 

Also, would you bill willing to list your findings on the Manta 8 and CB1 githubs so BTT is aware of it and hopefully find a solution?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 10:33 PM, BIQU sale said:

Hello,

We have solutions on how to use CAN Bus.

You can consider this solution.

M4P/M8P+CB1+EBB+U2C

Our official store: https://www.biqu.equipment/

Am I reading this correctly?  You produce a controller board with CAN bus on it, but then you don't use it to connect to the EBB boards?  What was the point of putting CAN bus on the controller if we can't use it?

• 1 month later...

Ive seen tons of people saying they have had really good customer service but I haven't been able to have them contact me for anything thing they just send a message back with the # 1 and they have even closed my case once as resolved with never answering I have now filled a Paypal dispute. 

• 4 weeks later...