Longer Prints Fail With Alarm Noise - No Messages

jasand

I have an Ender 3 Pro.  I upgraded to the SKR Mini E3 3.0 board and color touchscreen.  I can get awesome prints - as long as they are not really big long ones.  If I am printing a big part that takes a long time (a day or longer) the printer will suddenly during the print stop, move the extruder to a "park" type position, and just sit there and an alarm tone will sound.  No message will display and even when I caught it happening it was almost like it was programmed to do it.  I made sure my fans are all working, double checked all plugs, tried a different power supply, tried a different board, tried iron ferrite cores to eliminate noise on the signal cable from the touchscreen to the board.  I am stumped.  Any thoughts?  My next step is going to remove the board completely from the machine frame.  I did this once and it worked but I only ran smaller prints before I put it back together.  When it works it is awesome.  I just need to get past this and then get the touch sensor working (struggled with that but went away from it until I get this issue resolved.... one thing at a time).  Thanks for any suggestions.   Jason

I had a similar issue.  I happened to be nearby one of the times it stopped and could hear the extruder clicking/skipping.  I wonder if the firmware detects a skipping motor and shuts things off for safety.

I had a clog that was hard to troubleshoot.  I ended up replacing all my Bowden tubing and nozzle.  This corrected my issue.  Interesting, however, was that it seemed to creep up later in the job after it had been going for a good long time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rafael Arzapala said:

Hello Jasand.

Do you have any video about that? What screed do you have?

Did you updated the firmware? 

I unfortunately do not have any video.  The screen shows like it is still running the print job but the audible tone is sounding and the extruder is moved up and out of the way.  I will run it again and get a photo of the scenario.  I might be able to get a video but it will usually print for several hours without an issue.  It is typically long prints I see this issue.  I did update the firmware to the latest version on github.  I first was trying to use this with the BL touch but later flashed it to the version without the BL Touch due to issues with that plus this - I figured focus on one thing at a time.  I will run another print and try to capture more details.  Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, Randy Clements said:

I had a similar issue.  I happened to be nearby one of the times it stopped and could hear the extruder clicking/skipping.  I wonder if the firmware detects a skipping motor and shuts things off for safety.

I had a clog that was hard to troubleshoot.  I ended up replacing all my Bowden tubing and nozzle.  This corrected my issue.  Interesting, however, was that it seemed to creep up later in the job after it had been going for a good long time.

I am able to restart a smaller print (or even the same job file) immediately and it will start out printing great so this is not an issue with the motor or extruder at least as it appears.  Thanks for offering the idea though.  The part that makes it odd to me is that it lifts the head up and moves it over and the audible tone stays on.  The motors all stay on and hold position also.

Here is a print I started last night and when I came down this morning it was faulted.  I took a video of it and some photos.  Power is on the motors holding position.  When I did catch this it actually stops printing and moves the extruder to this position like it is being commanded to.  Heat is turned off.  The job still says it is running.  I cannot find any faults or info helpful so far.  Hopefully this helps see what might be happening.

20220628_072804.jpg

20220628_072816.jpg