BTT-TFT35 Controlling an external bed heater via serial port

billtodd

I'm building a segmented heated bed for my printer (yes, I pinched the idea from Prusa ;-))  The bed will have nine segments (100x120 to give an approximate 300x360 bed) . The segments heaters will be controlled by a Raspberry-PI PICO based DIY controller.

I'd like to be able to control the temperature and selection of segments from my BTT TFT 35 (Great device BTW :-))  either directly  or via my BTT octopus board .

To do this I need to be able to route the temperature data to and from a spare serial port . Any guides or ideas how I might achieve this?

Ideally I'd like to add a bed control page to the TFT menu which would allow selection of which segments are , or are not, heated and their current temperature .

I realise this might require firmware mods and while I'm no expert at C++ , with guidance, I may be able to code it .

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

TIA

Bill

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

The only way I can see to do this ATM, is to intercept the data between the TFT and Octopus , filtering for M155 reports from the Octopus , and feeding actual bed temperature back to TFT . Of course, this will not work in Marlin mode , but I don't use that anyway.

Thoughts ?

Bill

Hi Tony,

Yes i realise adding menus etc. to the display is beyond BTT's technical support , but my intention here ATM is just to intercept the temperature setting data , so I can control the new bed , and insert my temperature data in to the M155 reports for the TFT to display on the existing menu.