BTT Octopus V1.1 w/ Marlin 2 - status light keeps flashing

Remon Pel

Hi all

I have been prototyping a BTT Octopus + BTT MiniLCD 12864 replacement package for my Tenlog TL-D3 Pro and have everything working so far.

All 2209 UART, sensorless homing on X and Y, BL Touch (Still need to figure out how to use the dual optical sensors for homing and BL Touch for ABL only)

I have done a heating test for both bed and hot-ends; everything is working fine, except; the status light in the "middle" of the board keeps flashing.

Why? Anyone have any idea?

(See photo; circled and arrowed; yes it is off in the picture, 50/50 chance, innit 😉 . Trust me, it's flashing. Also; yes; only 5 motors for a 7 motor set-up; I only have 5 spare motors, but yes, I tested all 7 axes. Also; no heaters or fans attached, but that did not make a difference either)

IMG_6677.jpg

Hi,

The status light in the "middle" of the board keeps flashing: this is normal.
How to use dual optical sensor for homing: this you need to provide the model of the sensor,
Then check whether it can be adapted to our motherboard, the motherboard can support up to 5V homing sensor.

• 1 year later...

Hi Robert,

I'm seriously considering upgrading my D3 pro to the BTT Octopus with Marlin - I think KIipper (which I love on several of my other printers) needs a bit more massaging for IDEX.

Can you share - did you get the beast working perfectly?  Can you share photos of any adapters you may have made for the connectors to go to the board?  any photos?

might you be wiling to share your Marlin code, and at least as importantly,

What advice and/or suggestions might you have?  Are you glad you did it?

I find myself with an SD slot that is finicky, so I'd likely change to the Tenlog wifi board, if at all.  For less money, I see myself with something more configurable.  I'd repurpose one of my pi 4bs until they become more reasonable in price in the future.

Again, any help or suggestions appreciated!!!!

• 5 months later...

@GaryGnu Bit late in discovering this thread, but if it's still of any use to you, I might have some pointers. I upgraded to the Octopus after my D3 Pro's board developed a fault. Sadly, I don't have a copy of the final firmware I got working (lost it when my laptop was wiped), but I actually posted most of it to the forums here when I was trying to figure it out:

I've forgotten some of the specifics since then, but I do know that this was very close to my final version. The main thing I remember making a big difference is turning sensorless homing back off. I just couldn't get that to work with dual X, which wasn't a bit deal.  Also, the code line numbers might not match up any more, depending on newer versions of Marlin. What might be a bigger issue for you is the touchscreen, because I never even tried to get that working. I've just used Octoprint. So I've no idea if the original screen could work with the Octopus, or if you'd need to upgrade that too.

I've just noticed some of the text format is a bit clunky on my post. Basically, if there's any text directly under a line number, it should be on the right hand side. So, for instance, the first line should actually be:

99     #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB              to                #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_BTT_OCTOPUS_V1_1

Finally, I'll share some pictures of the rig and wiring I went with. I can at least say I haven't had any problems there.

Board wiring 1.jpg

Board wiring 2.jpg

Extruder fans + LEDs.jpg

Fans  2.jpg

Fans 1.jpg

Fans wiring.jpg

Full wiring (new fans).jpg

Full wiring (old fans).jpg

Molex exit.jpg

Molex.jpg

Power supply wiring.jpg

Stepper wiring 1.jpg