Newbie looking for Firmware Assist on Mini e3 skr V3

I am just starting out at 3d printing.  I haven't actually ever printed anything, but happened into an Ender 3 fixer upper.

I replaced the mainboard with a Mini e3 SKR V3, and I want it to work with BL Touch and sensorless homing.  So no sensors are connected, and the BL Touch is connected with all 5 pins together on the motherboard.

I applied jumpers to the X and Y as shown in the manual, but not Z.

I went and got from GitHub the firmware-ender-3-bltouch-for-z-homing.bin, renamed it firmware.bin, and copied it to an SD card.  I put that in the unit and powered on, but it didn't say it updated anything.  However, the card acquired a file called firmware.cur so I am guessing it either happened REALLY fast or my current FW is current.

BUT, when I go in and select Auto home, the Z axis moves a bit, then the X axis moves to the far left where the sensor used to be and keeps trying to continue.

So what am I missing?  My understanding was that this was the proper set of steps, and I did not need to recompile firmware for this.

I have an ender 3 with the same board as you have, i think the problem you have is that you cannot have sensorless homing and a probe plugged in ie your bl touch. On my board i have a th3d sensor and i dont use sensorless homing. Also why have you put jumpers on x and y? It states on here that you dont use jumpers with the ender 3. go and check this link as thats what i used to set mine up. https://www.makenprint.uk/3d-printing/3d-printing-guides/3d-printer-mainboard-installation-guides/btt-skr-mini-e3-v3-guides/btt-skr-mini-e3-v3-setup-guide/#tmc2209_sensorless_homing
 Your conclusion as to the firmware file is correct the firmware.cur means that it has accepted and updated your firmware (remember to clear the eeprom afterwards). 

Edited by Bappi
wrong link