Research on the new extruder

Eric

Research on the new extruder  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What style do you like,and Should we move on for this project?

• 42motor
    • 35motor

6 hours ago, lastone said:

I don't think any stepper is fast enough for this extruder to be good.
Rollers should not be brass in my opinion. can be steel, or some other materials I have in mind.

Looks heavy, would be cool to get it light.

We tried brushless motors, but the accuracy was not good. 

Does the motor have a hollow shaft that the filament feeds through? I have a few concerns: 1.) Even though the rollers should rotate about the filament and theoretically only exert a downward force, it is likely that with filament imperfections there will also be rotational force on the filament. This would mean that soft filaments may get tangled in the rollers easily. 2.) Brass rollers would wear very quickly with abrasive filament which means that they would be consumables like nozzles and therefore people would need to replace them constantly which would be a major downside. 3.) If it is a hollow shaft motor then the shaft should be made from hardened steel otherwise it too will wear quickly. 4.) If it is a hollow shaft motor then BIQU would need to make sure that spares are widely distributed since it is a unique part and people don't want to buy an expensive item that they cannot buy spares for. 5.) I believe that fuselab have a patent on this type of extruder and may try to stop you. 6.) Will steppers really be able to reach the needed speeds without losing torque? It seems like closed loop, encoder control of brushless DC motors would be better.

My feelings with this type of extruder is that it will initially sell OK because it looks cool but it is not practical and ultimately it will not be popular.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, luke harrison said:

Does the motor have a hollow shaft that the filament feeds through? I have a few concerns: 1.) Even though the rollers should rotate about the filament and theoretically only exert a downward force, it is likely that with filament imperfections there will also be rotational force on the filament. This would mean that soft filaments may get tangled in the rollers easily. 2.) Brass rollers would wear very quickly with abrasive filament which means that they would be consumables like nozzles and therefore people would need to replace them constantly which would be a major downside. 3.) If it is a hollow shaft motor then the shaft should be made from hardened steel otherwise it too will wear quickly. 4.) If it is a hollow shaft motor then BIQU would need to make sure that spares are widely distributed since it is a unique part and people don't want to buy an expensive item that they cannot buy spares for. 5.) I believe that fuselab have a patent on this type of extruder and may try to stop you. 6.) Will steppers really be able to reach the needed speeds without losing torque? It seems like closed loop, encoder control of brushless DC motors would be better.

My feelings with this type of extruder is that it will initially sell OK because it looks cool but it is not practical and ultimately it will not be popular.

Got it , we will test it ,and very much agree with this "it looks cool but it is not practical and ultimately it will not be popular."