SKR Mini E3 V3 issue - cannot flash, cannot talk over USB

I had been using this board with Klipper successfully for many months now on an Ender 3.  However, I moved the board to an external enclosure, and the USB stopped working.  I attempted to connect via UART2 after flashing to UART2-specific firmware but also had no success there. 

I have tried re-flashing back to USB and am no longer having success with flashing firmware.  I am even trying to push standard Marlin firmware from your Github site as a test.  It no longer creates a file "firmware.cur" on the SD card when I attempt to power it on.  I have retrieved stock "firmware.bin" for Ender 3 and included a 2nd copy named "firmware" as well, and no success.

I cannot find a /dev/serial/by-id listed when the SKR is plugged in to my Raspberry Pi.  When I plug the stock Ender 3 board into the Pi, I do find /dev/serial/by-id/<uniqueidstring>, and I have the stock Ender 3 board communicating with Octoprint in the meantime.

Screenshot attached of the flash card contents.  I ejected from the SKR only after powering on and waiting for several minutes.  I have also included a photo of the powered-up board.

skrminiflash.JPG

The card is formatted with the SD Card format utility and is 4GB FAT32.  I have also tried different cards of varying sizes.  The pins inside the flash card housing appear to be fine/not bent down or out of the way.  The green LED lights up near the card slot when a card is inserted.  The Power LED is lit up in red.  Status is not lit at all in this photo.

skrminie3v3.JPG

Edited by Randy Clements
Clarification

• Randy Clements changed the title to SKR Mini E3 V3 issue - cannot flash, cannot talk over USB

I discovered something I may have inadvertently done.  The procedure to download the binary file from GitHub is important!  If I right-click and choose save as, the browser downloads a file named firmware-USB.bin, but the file contains web information, not the actual firmware.

I needed to click on the file firmware-USB.bin and choose the "Download" option.  This procedure downloads the binary correctly.  I opened the downloaded file(s) with Notepad++ on my computer.  They have different file sizes and obviously the large file is wrong!  The true binary was very small (22kb) instead of the 134kb downloaded with right-click/save as.

It is possible I supplied the wrong firmware.bin file for my board.  Do you think I have ruined <bricked> my motherboard this way?

download.PNG

download-choose-button-good.PNG

download-right-click-bad.PNG

I had a SKR Mini e3 V2 that worked fine until I. Tried to update the firmware and just blue screen after blue screen no matter what I done. But it would convert the file to .CUR 

I figured it's fried and bought a v3, powered it all up and it worked fine. Cool. 

Went to update the firmware with a bltouch compatible and went back to a blue screen. 

I've been doing a right-click and save as as well but your comment may be just what I need to fix this thing! 

• Administrators
On 6/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, Randy Clements said:

I discovered something I may have inadvertently done.  The procedure to download the binary file from GitHub is important!  If I right-click and choose save as, the browser downloads a file named firmware-USB.bin, but the file contains web information, not the actual firmware.

I needed to click on the file firmware-USB.bin and choose the "Download" option.  This procedure downloads the binary correctly.  I opened the downloaded file(s) with Notepad++ on my computer.  They have different file sizes and obviously the large file is wrong!  The true binary was very small (22kb) instead of the 134kb downloaded with right-click/save as.

It is possible I supplied the wrong firmware.bin file for my board.  Do you think I have ruined <bricked> my motherboard this way?

download.PNG

download-choose-button-good.PNG

download-right-click-bad.PNG

If you have any product issues, please submit a request and we will arrange for an engineer to communicate with you as soon as possible.

Click on the top navigation "Submit a request" or Please click
https://support.biqu3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

5 hours ago, BIQU info said:

If you have any product issues, please submit a request and we will arrange for an engineer to communicate with you as soon as possible.

Click on the top navigation "Submit a request" or Please click
https://support.biqu3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you, I did this very thing (Submit a request) 8 days ago.  Support responded a single time 6 days ago, "Do you have the correct firmware from our GitHub?"   I have confirmed and added much additional information.  Adding info to my ticket or otherwise hailing support, has not been successful.

I see most of the admin responses ask people to open a ticket.  I understand the need to have a ticket to track issues this way, but the experience for end-users is very poor.

After not getting far this way, I reached out over Facebook.  I had someone helping me troubleshoot some things yesterday (probing different points on the board to measure voltage values).  My board seems to have a bad/damaged MOSFET, and the Facebook support person said this is why I could not flash the board.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just had a flashing pb on a E3 mini v2. 0.

It would blink and stop blinking, rename firmware.bin to .cur. Then no display nor usb connection. I just solved it by renaming the file firmware.bin to FIRMWARE.BIN. Worked like a charm!